Unlike the collision of chocolate and peanut butter in the ‘70s and ‘80s Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup commercials, a collision between a vehicle and a large animal on California roadways is anything but a sweet treat.
According to a 2017 Road Ecology Center – UC Davis report, the number of large animals killed or injured by collisions with vehicles rose 20 percent in 2016 and cost approximately $276 million based on estimates from insurance companies. Mule deer topped the list, but coyotes, black bears, elk, mountain lions and wild pigs made the list of large animals involved in traffic collisions. Drivers traveling the Bay area’s Interstate 280 are most likely to find themselves or other drivers in a collision with wildlife.
With October cited in the report as the most dangerous month for conflicts, the Peninsula Auto Body team wants to issue a reminder to be vigilant on California roadways, particularly in the Bay region which ranks among the worst for wildlife-vehicle collisions in California.
Remember these tips:
- Keep your eyes open, particularly at dawn and dusk, and use your bright lights when possible after dark to increase your chances of seeing the animal before it’s in front of you.
- Encourage seatbelt use to decrease chances of injuries or death in the event of a crash.
- Spot one deer and know there are more close by.
- Honk your horn if you see a deer in the road to try to scare it off.
- Slow down in areas known for animal presence because you will have no time to react at higher speeds.
- Do not swerve to avoid an animal. For many drivers, this actually results in an accident that may have been avoided through calm braking and staying the original course.
- Hit the animal if you have to!
Whether or collision with an animal results in minor or major damage, the team at Peninsula Auto Body has you covered. We offer a free estimate and have Enterprise Rent-A-Car on site, can help get your car towed to our facility, assist you with insurance claims, fix dents with our paintless dent removal system, and fix minor and major damage. You’ll leave the shop with a lifetime guarantee on the work done as long as you own your vehicle.
Should you have a collision, whether it’s with a large animal or another motor vehicle on the roadway, let our team get your ride back to pre-accident condition. Stop by to see us for a free estimate at 1430 San Mateo Ave., S. San Francisco, CA or call us at 650.588.0999 Monday through Friday from 7:30am-5:30pm, Saturday by appointment to speak to our expertly trained staff.